The support forum

Office 365 Email Notifications

Darol :

Mar 27, 2015

Hello,

First, I love this backup software. It is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. The only thing I cannot get to work in trial (and is stopping me from making a pro-license purchase) is setting up email notifications with Office 365.

Do you have any information?

I always get
Setting up
Looking up the address of outlook.office365.com
Connecting to 132.245.80.146, port 587
Exchanging pleasantries
Securing the connection
Error securing the connection

Any information is helpful.
Thanks

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 27, 2015

What do you have in %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2-smtp.log ? If you don't feel like sharing it here, drop me an email instead at support-at-pipemetrics.com.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 27, 2015

Ah, nevermind. I can reproduce it locally. I'll follow up in a bit...

Darol :

Mar 27, 2015

SORRY ABOUT THAT Alex,
I left work already and went home.
If you need me to get you that information, let me know, I'll get it to you as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for responding so soon.

Great application, definitely.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 31, 2015

Alright, I got this resolved in a development build and it will be in the next minor release - R73 revision 7 - should be ready to go tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks for the compliments, Darol. Much appreciated :)

Darol :

Mar 31, 2015

Ok, seriously, that was awesome of you. Too many software developers / companies could learn a thing from you. I'll get this purchased very soon. Thank you so much Alex and please continue this work. It is greatly appreciated.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 05, 2015

Resolved in 73.3 - https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/539/3286

Darol :

Apr 07, 2015

Alex,

I updated to the 73.7 release today. This is the error I get now with Office 365.

Looking up the address of outlook.office365.com
Connecting to 132.245.80.146, port 587
Exchanging pleasantries
Securing the connection
Logging In
Sending Email
Failed, the server said -
550 5.7.60 SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

Not sure if Office 365 requires some sort of privileges be granted to Bvckup2. I'll look around in the console to see what I can find.

Darol :

Apr 07, 2015

Meh, never mind.
I changed the info to a Gmail account to send to the Office 365 account.
Works for me.

I'm not going to quibble about small stuffs.
But, yeah, if I configure the "Use the following mail server" area with the Office 365 info, it gives that error above.

Anyway, I'm good to go.

Thanks.
Appreciate all your work, Alex.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 07, 2015

I googled a bit and it looks like there is indeed some legwork required on the Outlook's service end to make this work. Something to do with on-premises vs. off-premises servers and account bindings... not my domain by any means, though it does look like a default lock-down that can be removed if needed.

damobeanrod :

Jul 27, 2017

To revive an old thread I found it was failing for my Outlook account... Clicking more and changing the from: parameter fixed the issue. From was noreply@bvckup or something along those lines. I set it to myemailaddress@outlook.com.au and it would then allow me to send... Presumably they recently added a restriction that you must send from a domain you are authoritative for... I haven't tested bvckup@outlook.com.au mind you. So they may even restrict to smtp alias.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 27, 2017

Thank you, damobeanrod. Very useful.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials