The support forum

Beta Release 21

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 08, 2013

Major - Exclusion/inclusion filters

It is now not only possible to define what exactly to backup and what not to, but you can do it with grace and style :-)

This functionality is accessible via Details button in the Backup What section of the backup configuration dialog - http://bvckup2.com/wip/filters-br21.png

I'd like to think that the UI is self-explanatory, but just in case here are some notes.

-- A --

Content filtering can operate in either of two modes - inclusive and exclusive. The mode simply defines whether all items are included or excluded by default. Then the list of items is trimmed off or populated as specified in the middle section of the config window.

In inclusive mode, explicitly excluded items are marked with red 'x'. Directories that have some items excluded in their subtree are marked with gray 'x'. Excluding a directory (naturally) excludes all its contents.

Similarly, in exclusive mode, including a directory tags it with a black checkmark and includes its entire subtree. Directories that have some items explicitly included are tagged with gray checkmark.

-- B --

Once these simple filters are applied, the program goes through a list of "manual" filters that sits at the bottom of the config window. Filters are scanned from top and the first matching filter defines the action to be taken - "include" or "exclude".

http://bvckup2.com/wip/new-filter.png

Manual filters are awesome. You can pretty much do whatever you want with them and unlike with the v1 they are easy to understand :)

First, they can match either a file, a folder or either file or folder.

Second, they can match on attributes - Read-only, System, Hidden, Archive, Temporary, Encrypted, Compressed - and do both "set" and "not set" match. Click on "Attributes" to pick what you need.

Third, they can match on item's name. This is the best explained with examples:

1) *.sys matches any item in any directory with the name that ends with .sys

2) foo\*.sys matches .sys items that resides in foo directory, which in turn can be anywhere in the source tree

3) C:\Temp\foo\*.sys matches .sys in C:\Temp\foo directory only

4) \Temp\foo\*.sys is the same except it doesn't enforce the drive being C:

5) Finally, .\foo\*.sys will match files only in foo directory at the root of the source location. For example, if the source is C:\Windows\System32, then the above rule is the same as C:\Windows\System32\foo\*.sys except it doesn't explicitly depend on the source location.

The asterisk and the question mark are your good old conventional wildcards, matching 0+ and exactly 1 character respectively.

The \ is a special symbol used to split the pattern in parts, with each part matched separately against a respective part of the item's pathname. Consequently, * and ? never match \.

-- C --

*Note* that filters are applied while scanning. If you exclude C:\Windows, none of its subdirectories will be scanned. This is a good thing as it speeds things up when you have voluminous directories that you exclude from the backup.

*Also note* that there's an important exception to the above rule. If you configure an exclusive backup with (include *.sys) manual filter, it *will* scan the whole tree first and then trim off directories that don't have any .sys files.

That's it. It should all just work.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 08, 2013

Major - resuscitation of the disconnected network drives

This is a proper follow-up to the feature introduced in BR20 - the program now will detect disconnected network drives and periodically prod them to life. Default interval is 5 minutes, but it is configurable and it can be disabled altogether.

The net effect is that mapped drives should become available after the boot even if the system is not configured to wait for drive reconnection (which is the default on Vista and W7).

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 08, 2013

Additionally...

1. Resolved issue with archiving code needlessly creating empty directories in the Archive. Kudos to @scribbly.

2. Resolved issue with "Disabled" state of a backup job not remembered across restarts. Kudos to @pjb.

Goastler4 :

Jul 08, 2013

That's really amazing!! Seriously, so handy. Especially how the common filters are already created below - that'll save so much time. And it looks pretty snappy. No complaints here, good job :) thanks

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 08, 2013

@Goastler4 - Thanks!

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 08, 2013

Please update to BR22 as per https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/64

Jadag :

Jul 08, 2013

Great. Thanks. Hoping the ability to sort/re-order backups will be soon.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

@Jadag - coming up next

highend :

Jul 09, 2013

@Alex

Any chance of adding groups as well?
Groups: The ability to put profiles into groups and start / stop / suspend them like single profiles?

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

@highend - I've thought about it and I don't think it's a good idea. It will clutter the UI quite a bit. It also appears to be a trivial improvement over simply clustering jobs together (via click-hold-drag), selecting them (click first, shift-click last) and then clicking a Go.

I mean I can absolutely see this being useful, but I don't see it being useful for a vast majority of users.

highend :

Jul 09, 2013

@Alex

Cluttering the UI? Not necessarily.
A "+" / "-" sign in front of a group can show / hide all the profiles that it contains. If you use a lot of profiles (which I do) it's the opposite of cluttering :)

My main backup application is SyncBackSE (until Bvckup goes final) and groups are just... so convenient.

You only want to backup to a specific destination or just a single drive instead of multiple ones... groups are the way to start exactly what you want and you don't need more than two clicks.

Take a look at this screenshot please.
http://i.imgur.com/I7Zrhhr.png

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

@highend - Hmm... but couldn't new selector mechanism solve this problem? You'd have a single backup that points, say, at C:\ and is configured to include only C:\Temp, C:\Users, etc.

The only drawback is that if this backup is set to real-time. It will react to all changes on C:\ instead of reacting at changes in individual directories. But otherwise this should be very close to a batch of backups grouped together.

The reason I'm hesitant is that I really don't want to turn main window into a tree view. Technically, I can group backups linearly like

[group1 header]
backup1
backup2

[group2 header]
backup3
backup4

But I'm not sure if that's what you'd want (and, frankly, it's just a lot of work).

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

Let's try it this way. Can you elaborate what you find convenient about grouping ? Is it a viewing convenience (presentation) or a controlling convenience? Because former is fairly easy to do without needing to resort to a tree view.

highend :

Jul 09, 2013

@Alex

Its's both (presentation and controlling) but controlling just leads to "some kind" of logical presentation. What's most important is the granularity that groups are providing. Splitting a backup job into several single ones allows me to decide if e.g. my images (Hyper-V / VMware) should be backuped up the next time the group (and therefore all non-disabled profiles in it) is run instead of tinkering inside the settings of one large profile to exclude this folder (and probably forget to to remove it from the exclusion list afterwards).

Groups allow a "fire and forget" backup (just start the group) but allow precise control over what exactly should be done (and this is completely visible to the user because it's not "buried" inside some settings of a profile).

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

Ok, thanks, this is helpful. Let me digest this.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy