The support forum

Concurrent backups *only* to physically separate disks?

InsertRealName :

Aug 15, 2015

I backup to external USB 2.0/3.0 disks from an SSD disk (using Windows 7 x64 SP1 w/all Microsoft updates, Bvckup2 74.13). I've always used sequentially queued backups, because transfers from the SSD seem to saturate even the USB 3.0 connection.

Now I'm wondering if Bvckup2's "concurrent" backup option can be set to only allow concurrency when the backup targets are truly separate disks? Perhaps by using the information in the USB fingerprints, or by dynamically determining whether 2 disk volume targets are on truly separate physical disks?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 16, 2015

Good request.

Oddly enough early betas had support for queuing *groups*, but I removed it because I didn't think anyone will ever need it. The idea was that you'd assign each backup to a group and backups within the same group would queue for execution. This way "allow concurrent backups" means that each backup gets its own group, while the opposite means that there's one shared group for all backups.

Now that you brought it up, I think the idea is worth revisiting, but I can't yet give you an ETA on it.

InsertRealName :

Aug 16, 2015

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not thinking so much of an explicit facility to create backup groups, as a "simple" global option: if queued backups are directed at two (or more) physically distinct target disks, then automatically create two (or more) separate sequential queues of backup tasks for each target disk. The objective is to use each separate data connection as efficiently as possible, at least on directly connected disks. (If this strategy saturates the USB or other I/O controller and leads to long disk buffer queues at the OS level, well, Windows has fairly elaborate internal strategies for dealing with that, I believe).

Magno :

Apr 26, 2017

Excuse me for highjacking an old thread. What you mention here Alex seems to be what I am looking for. I have a few sync jobs always running where folders are watched in real-time, and those jobs can be handled as a group, either run concurrently or queued between one another, since the changes are frequent but small. Then I have three manual jobs which I run maybe once a week, where I copy very large disk image files to different folders on my NAS for safekeeping, and those I want handled as a separate group, transferred one at a time in a queue-like fashion. The idea would be to start these three manual jobs as a joint batch job, where I want Bvckup 2 to process them sequentially.

Is this in line with what you are describing, and if so, is this a feature you are still contemplating? Or should I simply deselect "Enable concurrent backups" in Preferences, and everything will work out fine? My concern is that if I deselect this option and start a batch transfer to my NAS, my real-time jobs won't run until the batch job is finished which would take hours.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 27, 2017

Yes, the support for multiple job queues is very much on the todo list.

Or should I simply deselect "Enable concurrent backups" in Preferences, and everything will work out fine? My concern is that if I deselect this option and start a batch transfer to my NAS, my real-time jobs won't run until the batch job is finished which would take hours.

This is correct. The real-time jobs will got stuck in the queue behind your large jobs.

A workaround is to chain your big jobs by kicking off 2nd from the post-backup command of the 1st, and 3rd - from the post-backup command of the 2nd. Using command-line job control to do that -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/411

Then, if you keep the "concurrent backups" option enabled, you will just need to start the first big job and all three will complete in order, and in parallel with any real-time jobs if needs be.

Magno :

Apr 28, 2017

Sounds perfect!

To make it simple, let's say I have these two batch jobs with corresponding descriptions I want to run in sequence:
Job 1: "DiskImage 1 to Qnap"
Job 2: "DiskImage 2 to Qnap"

Since the batch jobs are normally disabled I suppose I should put these three commands in the "Post-backup" field of Job 1:
bvckup2.exe --command enable "DiskImage 2 to Qnap"
bvckup2.exe --command start "DiskImage 2 to Qnap"
bvckup2.exe --command disable "DiskImage 1 to Qnap"

But how do I put several commands in the Post-backup text box? Could I create a .bat file containing the following lines and put the file path to the .bat file in the text box?
@echo off
cd C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2
bvckup2.exe --command enable "DiskImage 2 to Qnap"
bvckup2.exe --command start "DiskImage 2 to Qnap"
bvckup2.exe --command disable "DiskImage 1 to Qnap"

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 28, 2017

The "disable" command won't go through as it requires the job to be in the idle state and in your case it won't be because it is still finishing up.

BUT

You may consider keeping them enabled. Disabling is primarily meant for real-time and periodic jobs as it's the only way to stop them from running. Manual jobs can also be disabled, but that's more to keep things consistent across all backup types.

Re: .bat - yes, exactly. This just needs to go into a batch file.

Magno :

Apr 29, 2017

Thanks, it worked out fine, although I had to use the START command and full path in the batch file to make it work:
START "" "C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2\bvckup2.exe" --command start "Job1"

Actually, the "disable" command in my previous example works perfectly, at least in the small test runs I have done. As a last Post-backup command for Job1 I can tell Bvckup to disable Job1, and Job1 gets disabled after execution just as I want.

I think it's important to have the option to disable manual jobs so they don't get executed by mistake. Now it takes two clicks on the Go button to run a disabled job, first to enable it and second run it, but ideally I would like to be able to lock down or hide certain jobs even more. A great piece of software though.

ArchGabriel :

Mar 31, 2019

Sorry to wake up this old thread again. I am wondering whether that feature of grouping backups or of having concurrent backups as long as they are using different drives as suggested is still being under development. I would very much like to see that feature. It is especially important for my home server where I do lots of backups amongst multiple drives.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 01, 2019

Excellent question. Advanced scheduling queues were added around 2 years ago. See here for details - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/934

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms