The support forum

How to use this forum

May 30, 2013

This is a tweaked version of the Curious Wall project, which in turn is a simpler version of an incredibly clever Project Ivory. Both are by the same author.

Unfortunately, due to being a _simpler_ version, it lacks several necessities such as support for text formatting, image embedding and even link highlighting. Post editing is not supported either. I will be gradually adding in the next few days and weeks, but meanwhile we'll have to stick to the basics, proofread what you are about to post and open links by copy-pasting.

[0] https://github.com/cheshirecats/CuriousWall
[1] http://pivory.com

Deipotent :

Jun 02, 2013

Can you add an option to list topic posts in reverse order (ie. most recent first), so you don't have to keep scrolling down to see that latest replies.

Anyone using Firefox can use the Linkification extension to auto/manually highlight links.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 02, 2013

Not sure if it's a good idea. You'd need to scroll down to the first unread message and then follow the discussion back to the top of the topic.

Instead, I'm adding the unread count for each topic and a link to jump to the first unread message.

Also, while we are on this subject, I will be adding email notifications for watched threads and @ mentions next. Followed by the markdown support for message formatting.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 05, 2013

Added post dimming. This is stop-gap for marking items in the Known Issues topic as "resolved".

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 06, 2013

Added automatic quote markup. Just start the line with > and it will be converted to a block quote. For example,

> Someone said this and that earlier

will turn into

Someone said this and that earlier

To suppress the conversion and preserve the > in front of the line add a space before it.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 06, 2013

Added automatic linkificator that turns valid URLs into clickable links. The regex is courtesy of Daring Fireball guy - http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/improved_regex_for_matching_urls

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 17, 2013

Added the top bar with the username/sign-in/sign-out. Will be adding Account settings next.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 26, 2013

In a process of adding basic support for forum notifications.

If you click on your name (at the top left), it will bring you to the Account Settings page. There you can put in your email address and toggle which sort of notifications you'd like to receive from the forum. I would suggest subscribing at least to the "Admin topics" (this includes new release announcements), though it's generally a good idea to subscribe to replies and mentions as well.

Email confirmation and subscription/unsubscription is already working, and I will be putting in the actual notification dispatch code later today or tomorrow.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

I have added support for watching topic activity.

Every topic can now be flagged for watching using, well, "Watch" button in the top right corner (http://bvckup2.com/wip/topic-watch.png). The end goal of watching a topic is to receive email notifications when topic is updated (this part is coming up).

--

Compete list of topics you are watching is available under your profile. Click on your username at the top left to get there.

Creating a new topic automatically adds it to the list. Posting a reply in an existing topic does the same, so the list effectively doubles as your posting history.

For this reason, the default action when clicking on a list item is to un-watch the topic, *but* keep it on a list. Click again to start watching it again. To remove topic off the list completely use the Trash Can icon.

--

Coming up next - the actual email notifications.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 09, 2013

Alright, so the email notifications for new replies and new announcements should now be working. The @mentions notifications are coming a bit later.

ale :

Jul 18, 2013

Only a small detail, but for the sake of reporting :) if we click on the "Watch" button without being logged in, PHP seems to emit an undefined index notice

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 18, 2013

Ha, indeed. Should be fixed now.

Deipotent :

Sep 04, 2013

test <b >bold</b>

Deipotent :

Sep 04, 2013

@Alex Pankratov - How do you add bold text ?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 04, 2013

*test*

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 04, 2013

I'm gradually adding markdown support - http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

So *x* is  <em> and **x** is <strong> or italic and bold in plain speak.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 04, 2013

Not done yet, clearly, but I will be implementing it at some point soon.

Deipotent :

Sep 04, 2013

*test*

Not done yet, clearly,

:D

Reason I asked was you had it in your first "Welcome to the beta! " post, along with bullet lists.

Deipotent :

Sep 04, 2013

but I will be implementing it at some point soon

No rush - just wanted to use bold to emphasise a correction, given posts can't be edited.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 27, 2013

That bold was grafted directly into the mysql database :)

patwillette :

Oct 02, 2013

so far working well in 2 places:
1. at home, Windows 7 client to a Server 2012 box with a software Raid 1
2. in a corporate setup from my Windows 8 desktop over a WAN link to Server 2008   R2 vm 1000 miles away
both setups working flawlessly

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 07, 2013

Thanks, Pat. Glad to hear that.

adlerweb :

Oct 28, 2013

A posibility to search the forum would also be a nice addition - its hard to find already existing threads with the same topic atm...

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 28, 2013

Ack, will do shortly.

harrisc :

Nov 03, 2013

I like to see the date of entry to see the relevance to the current issues. Is is possible to show the dates of entries?

member :

Nov 20, 2013

I just came to this thread to request the date as well.  I was trying to see when I had posted in the past and there was no time stamp.  If it not too time consuming to implement, I think it would be useful in documenting our test efforts.

Thanks

pete12gg :

Jan 18, 2014

Great program. Just what I needed.......until........
Running on an existing backup......
Folder to backup contains 44 first level sub-directories and 3 second level sub-directories with a total of 1,416,820 files.
Kept on failing with a dialog box entitled "Something went wrong".
I think it didn't get through the Source scan.
Tried excluding all but 15 folders with 182,415 files.
The source scan was successful and much quicker, but the destination
scan still tried to scan all 47 folders and failed at about 1,300,000 files.
If the destination scan had been restricted to just the same folders as the source scan, it would have been successful.
In testing with some folders excluded, it appears that if Bvckup2 runs on an existing mirror backup, then it will actually DELETE (Archive) any other folders already existing in the backup that were excluded.
Unfortunately, this means that Bvckup2 CANNOT be used to backup large folders with many sub-directories with more than about 1,300,000 files.
If it didn't delete the other folders, then it could be used by running separate scans, excluding different directories in each scan.
The only other way would be to backup a few folders at a time into DIFFERENT, separate backup folders, resulting in a backup that does not resemble the original.
Your thoughts ?

Point is.........There's no reason why it should scan more in the destination than the source. Could you make it so ?

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 18, 2014

Unfortunately, this means that Bvckup2 CANNOT be used to backup large folders with many sub-directories with more than about 1,300,000 files.

At the moment, this is correct. Regrettably . The behavior you are seeing is caused by bvckup keeping full trees of the source/destination locations *in memory* and in your case 1.4M items needs more memory than the OS can give it.

At the moment there are exactly two places in the program where its memory usage is dependent on the specifics of the backup. The scanning phase is one and the UI logging of very large backup runs is another. These are also *the only* major outstanding issues and they are *the* technical reason the app is still in beta.

I am taking care of the logging issue first, this will be in the next release. I will then be revising scanning/planning code to keep most of its data off the memory (and on a disk).

--

That said, a clumsy workaround would be to create a separate backup for each of 15 folders. Not elegant, but there's a "Clone..." option in the right-click menu for existing backups.

pete12gg :

Jan 20, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be memory related, even though the Windows Task Manager showed some free memory available, so I moved the disks from my 32 bit computer running xp pro with 4 Gb memory, to my 64 bit laptop with 12 Gb, and the program worked perfectly. As for the workaround, that was going to be my next try.
Thanks again. Love the program !!!

Deipotent :

Jan 27, 2014

Forum quirk: After creating new post, the URL has a space before the post number, but this doesn't make the URL invalid.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 28, 2014

Fixed, thanks.

sguergachi :

Jan 29, 2014

Really the biggest thing that's making me crazy on this forum is no time stamp. No idea if a bug or feature being referred too was mentioned recently or months ago. Would be nice if at least the post was dated.

Bamit :

Jun 03, 2014

Good morning Alex.  Now that the release is out, will you be spending any more time on this forum?  I know that these questions have been asked before, but will you able to at least work on these two requests?

adlerweb : A posibility to search the forum would also be a nice addition - its hard to find already existing threads with the same topic atm...
  harrisc : I like to see the date of entry to see the relevance to the current issues. Is is possible to show the dates of entries?

As indicated by these two, a search and time-stamp would be great additions for this forum.  Also, a Sort by Date would be nice as well.

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 04, 2014

I'll be getting to the forum improvements shortly. In addition to the timestamps and search I want to turn the FAQ thread into a /support/faq page and I want to prune and clean up the feature requests thread.

Lurch :

Jun 14, 2014

You could also clean this thread up as there are a few posts that don't belong. While you are tweaking the forum tab selection is something that doesn't seem to work. I usually type a response then hit tab, enter to post. It's just a habit I have and have used it for 10 years or more without even thinking.

It seems that no-one develops for usability any more as I have found that tab, enter on a few forums sends you to preview, or somewhere else, or nowhere. General trend in general actually, couple of sites this morning where typing in a search box and hitting enter didn't work, you had to click the 'search' button.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 16, 2014

Lurch, Tab + Enter should work now. There's no visual feedback for Post getting active after Tab'ing into it, I'll try and add this later.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 16, 2014

couple of sites this morning where typing in a search box and hitting enter didn't work, you had to click the 'search' button.

You'd looove reddit. Hitting Enter is the only way to search as there's no "search" button :)

Lurch :

Jun 16, 2014

Hah, only ever idly browsed reddit. Off to search now, after hitting tab, enter here of course!

Now, after typing that I hit tab, enter and ended up in the same place as I usually do.... http://bvckup2.com/imprint/ via the link in the footer.

I'm on FF29.0.1 on W7 x64 if that makes a difference.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 16, 2014

Same setup here. Ctrl-F5?

Lurch :

Jun 16, 2014

Er, yeah. That fixed it. It's usually the first thing I tell people to do when a web page behaves not as expected, can't believe I keep forgetting to follow my own advice!

soylent :

Sep 18, 2014

I'm unable to find the search box... where is it?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 18, 2014

There's no internal search at the moment. I will have to defer you to Google and the "site:bvckup2.com" suffix for a query, e.g.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shadow+copying+site%3Abvckup2.com

dcraig :

Oct 10, 2014

Beautiful software.

I have been writing production code for almost 40 years (from the early Trident missile systems to educational games) and 5 minutes after downloading and running your product I purchased a license.

In the era of bloated applications it is nice to see well done software.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 11, 2014

@dcraig - Such a nice thing to say, thank you! Music to my ears :)

BD :

Oct 30, 2014

Hey Alex!

Any status on a search forum feature yet?

BD

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2014

Haven't gotten around to adding it yet, sorry. For now please just use Google with "site:bvckup2.com", this works well.

SamHasler :

Nov 06, 2014

re: dates

When looking at support forums for software the date of the most recent post, and the frequency of releases are a useful indicator of the health of a software product. Not having them here makes that assessment harder.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 06, 2014

Alright, the post dates are in. Let me know if you spot anything broken.

Doc :

Dec 30, 2014

List of errors in FAQ would be very helpful - apologies if it is there but then the message would be to make it more obvious!

For example, with release 72 I'm getting ...
"GetFileInformationByHandleEx() failed with 87" under "Retrieving source (destination) device information" but the backups appear fine. I suspect that this is a benign error (probably to do with my Security software) but it would be nice to be able to look it up and check.

I continue to be impressed by this software - otherwise I wouldn't bother writiong to the forum!

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 02, 2015

@Doc - noted, will do a bit later on. With regards to the actual error you are getting - just update to the latest version (R72, revision 2). It has a fix specifically for this issue (which *is* benign, you are correct).

ckline :

Jan 21, 2015

Alex, I'm still seeing the "GetFileInformationByHandleEx() failed with 87"  error using build 72 revision 6.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 21, 2015

Please email me respective part of the log with some context (support-at-pipemetrics.com). The log can be opened in Notepad via Log Options menu in the log panel.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 26, 2015

To reset the account password -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/new-password

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 08, 2015

Forum search (via Google) is now available.

Click on Search to open input field, type things in, then hit Enter or click on the icon to open Google search results for bvckup2.com/support/forum in a new window.

To get results in the same window, press Shift-Enter.

To copy the search URL, type in your query and copy the link from under the icon.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy