The support forum

Access Denied

dsafety :

Aug 17, 2016

I have a new strange problem. I have several backups that cover my Quickbooks data files. One goes to DropBox, another goes to a backup disc, etc. I have been using the realtime backup option without a problem for a long time.

For some reason, starting yesterday, Bvckup fails to back up two critical files in my Quickbooks data folder. I get the error message "access denied" relating to something called MoveFileEx.

These are the most important files on my computer. What can I do to get past this problem?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 18, 2016

Standard answer for any issues that involve "access denied" and "sudden" in one sentence is to first check your antivirus. Try switching it off and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the add bvckup2.exe to a whitelist or an exclusion list in the AV to make AV not look at files operated by the app. This typically solves 99% of all cases.

Secondly, if you are copying to a remote share (another computer, NAS or "wireless drive"), then make sure you are NOT copying any of the security attributes - these are the DACL, Owner, Group options in Copy Also section in the More Option part of Backup Settings. These bits generally can't be copied over computer's boundary.

If neither of the above applies, send us an email with the log excerpt (you can copy entire log block to the clipboard via right-click menu) and we'll try and figure it out.

dsafety :

Aug 23, 2016

I did not explain the problem completely. In the past, Bvckup would back up my Quickbooks files using the "when files have changed" setting, even if the program was open. Now it does not do that. If I close Quickbooks the files are immediately backed up.

Is this an intentional change or has a setting been changed so that open files are no longer backed up?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 23, 2016

I can't think of any changes to the app that would explain this. Just check two things -

1. You are running Bvckup 2 in Administrator mode - it's second from the top setting in Menu/Options/Preferences

2. For the backup job itself - in Backup Settings, More Options section, check you have Shadow Copying set to Required.

This ensures that Bvckup 2 will ask Windows to create a static temporary snapshot of the source drive before making a backup. Whatever the change was it appears it was on the QuickBooks side.

foler :

Sep 27, 2016

hi
now testing bvckup 2 and have access denied error even if this account is in admin group on remote pc. with robocopy I can use /b switch and all files is transferred. how to resolve this?
I try admin mode, regular mode and service mode.

tnx

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 27, 2016

You'll need to provide a bit more context for any meaningful reply (what operation fails exactly and if it's at source or destination, what are the source and destination, etc.), but generally speaking "access denied" means what it says - the account under which bvckup2 process is running lacks proper permissions for performing whatever the file operation it is requesting.

If you are doing local-to-remote backup, make sure that you are in fact connecting to the remote end with the "account in admin group on remote pc" (use "key" icon in the Backup To field to set the credentials) and that you are NOT copying over owner/group or DACL information.

foler :

Sep 29, 2016

ok...
bvckup 2 can override permission and copy file if is run under admin account, just like robocopy with /b switch?
Is it ok if user is in group "backup operators"?
tnx

foler :

Sep 29, 2016

ok, i try with key icon and user is added to local admin group...
domain\user
password

but again have 45 errors "access denied"...

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 29, 2016

bvckup 2 can override permission and copy file if is run under admin account, just like robocopy with /b switch?

What /b does is that opens files in a so-called "backup semantics" mode, which does in fact override certain permission and ownership checks when working with files.

Bvckup 2 just does that if it can successfully get SeBackupPrivilege, SeSecurityPrivilege and SeRestorePrivilege privileges from Windows [1].

If you are running under elevated Admin account, then it should work like with /b specified.

Is it ok if user is in group "backup operators"?

Yes, this is perfect.

but again have 45 errors "access denied"...

As per my previous reply - I don't know the details, so I can't tell you much.

--

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb530716%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

foler :

Oct 01, 2016

no progress
two folders on desktop: 1 and 2.
Folder "1" is source with one file which have explicitly defined ntfs acl set to user "test" which is not admin, standard user. Current logged in account is "user" which is admin and in backup operators group.
Folder "2" is destination folder.

I try to run bvckup with/without admin right and as service. Service have log on system service, OR any user in administrators/backup op. group.
No progress.

I run cmd as admin, and robocopy /b copy file from folder 1 successful.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2016

I can't reproduce this.

Here's what I did (the OS is Windows 8) -

1. Logged in under an account that is a member of Administrators group.
2. Created a folder, say, C:\Temp\src, put some files in it
3. Using Windows Explorer went into folder's properties, Security tab, Advanced, added Full Control permission to another (regular user) account, disabled inheritance and changed owner to the same regular user.
4. At this point if I try to view this folder in Windows Explorer I get a prompt

You don't currently have permission to access this folder.
    Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.

5. Set up a backup job using this folder as a source and going to C:\Temp\dst

Run this job and it goes through, the folder is copied. The app's running with full admin rights.

---

In any case, if you'd like me to look at your setup, please switch back to the desktop mode, reproduce the issue and then email

%LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2.log

and

%LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\engine\backup-00xx\backup.log

for the job in question to support@pipemetrics.com

What you are describing shouldn't be happening and I'd like to understand why it does.

mikeyww :

Feb 28, 2019

I am backing up from a local drive to a QNAP NAS drive. I found that zero-length files would lead to this "Access denied" error. I was able to resolve the problem (so far) by simply excluding zero-length files such as with the following mask.

.\*\*

Perhaps this would also work with just a specification of "*"; I did not try that. In any case, this is combined with a file size of no more than 0 bytes. A screenshot can be found below.

https://i.imgur.com/YQbaphC.png

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 28, 2019

I found that zero-length files would lead to this "Access denied" error.

These won't happen to have System or Hidden attributes set on them by any chance?

There's an open issue that has been patched and will ship with 79.22 that deals with *updating* zero-sized file with Hidden or System attributes set. An attempt to do so, on a native NTFS volume, will result exactly in Access Denied errors. Hence my question.

Perhaps this would also work with just a specification of "*"

Yep, this will work too.

mikeyww :

Mar 01, 2019

Neither hidden nor system. I tried again without the filter, and it worked this time. I am not sure why. I will continue to monitor for problems.

mikeyww :

Mar 04, 2019

It turns out that QNAP always receives files starting with "." as hidden files. I am searching for a solution there.

mikeyww :

Mar 04, 2019

It seems that Linux always treats files starting with "." as hidden. Is there a way for Bvckup to copy a file starting with "." to a hidden target file?

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 04, 2019

Do you see Hidden attribute on these QNAP files if you look at their properties using Windows Explorer? If you do, can you clear this attribute using Windows Explorer?

mikeyww :

Mar 04, 2019

Yes, I see a hidden attribute in Windows, but that attribute cannot be cleared on the NAS file. Attempting to clear it has no effect.

My current workaround is to exclude .* in Bvckup and then to run a Robocopy command that copies the .* files separately.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 04, 2019

OK, I see. You can try the following override as a workaround -

conf.copying.use_null_copier    0

See here for how to do this - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1140

Let me know if this helps.

mikeyww :

Mar 04, 2019

There were no errors, but I still need all of the .* files, even null ones, to be updated at the target-- which this setting did not fix.

mikeyww :

Mar 04, 2019

Oops, let me go back and delete the exclusion first.

mikeyww :

Mar 04, 2019

Looks good. Thank you for the help.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials