The support forum

Accessing a drive when no drive letter attached

MWorthington :

Nov 04, 2016

Odd question .... can Bvckup 2 make a back up when the target drive letter is not assigned in Windows 10?

Why, you may ask? Well, my daughter's laptop has a 64Gb memory stick "permanently" attached as a second drive, to which I have a real-time job running. I would like to make the drive invisible to her, to avoid problems. There are a number of ways, but the simplest to remove the drive letter assignment.

I'm asking teh question Just in case Bvckup 2 can identify the drive by "other mean".

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 04, 2016

Not at the moment, no. But I will make sure that we allow accessing volumes without mounting using \\?\Volume{...} notation. Good idea.

MWorthington :

Nov 04, 2016

:)

What's the timescale, do you think?

MWorthington :

Nov 04, 2016

By the way, is device fingerprint of ant value here, considering removable drives, at least .... ?

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 04, 2016

This requires a non-trivial amount of work, because currently the app expects paths to be either in a X:\ or \\server\share formats. So the ETA is certainly not "the next release", but it's a good feature to have so it will be done sooner rather than later.

Re: tracking - not sure, will need to check how volume GUIDs are generated and whether they are persistent. It's possible that they are, so their path should be enough for uniquely identifying them.

MWorthington :

Nov 05, 2016

Interesting! Appreciate the feedback.

edg :

Nov 13, 2016

mountvol must run as an administrator
set up a task to run with the highest privileges to run on demand

C:/Windows/System32/schtasks.exe /Run /TN dismountdrive

echo off
rem how to mount a volume
MOUNTVOL G:\  \\?\Volume{fb32a985-bbda-4277-804f-6060c83001f4}\

echo off
rem how to dismount a volume
mountvol g:\ /d

carlfriedrich :

Jun 07, 2019

Has this feature been implemented meanwhile?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 07, 2019

No, it has not been.

This requires a substantial amount of work due to an existing assumption, widely used in the code, as to what constitutes a valid path. Plus there's almost no interest in this feature. It is still on a todo list, but on a very low priority.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy