The support forum

New backup jobs not saved, log Error Message, can't run concurrently

MWorthington :

Nov 20, 2016

Alex,

I have 2 installations of Bvckup 2 Personal Use. My laptop is running Windows 10 64-bit, Bvckup v76.12, the PC running Windows XP 32-bit, Bvckup v76.12.1 (ref. https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/860)

The laptop runs fine; backups run concurrently, I can create new jobs, the log files are available.

However, after making some hardware changes to my PC, I cannot (consistently) create new jobs that are saved between exiting and restarting.

Background:
Bvckup installed on C as normal
2 new data drives added, other drives shuffled about, drive letters re-set to original.
C drive unchanged.
Existing backup jobs work OK, including to/from new data drives, concurrently.

Note that the 2 new drives are 3Tb drives, and on a Windows XP 32-bit PC, I had to use a bit of jiggery-pokery to get the drives to be available at their full 3Tb. I ended up using Paragon GPT Loader (https://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/gpt-loader/). I can’t determine if this is an issue to Bvcup 2, but you should be aware.

I did create a new job after the re-build, and ran it last night to copy 1Tb from a backup disk to one of the new data drives. The log looks as expected.

Problem:
I create a new backup job, and immediately the log window says: “The log file cannot be displayed. Please report this incident to support”.
The job runs OK, on its own.
I create another new job, same log window message.
The job runs OK, on its own.
However, I cannot run them concurrently. One job fails with the error message “Scan of source location failed”.

Some investigation show:
The new, working job (probably an existing one, edited) was saved to “C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Local Settings\Application Data\Bvckup2\engine\backup-0001”.
Subsequent jobs are also saved to this location, hence the issue with them not being saved on exit/restart.

I have 66 jobs in total.

I restored Bvckup 2 configuration from an archive, as instructed:

1. Shutdown the app if it's running. (I had to stop the process in Windows Task Manager/Processes to give me access to the files).
2. Delete everything from the %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2 folder and extract contents of this zip file there.
3. Launch the app again.

As a matter on interest, there was over 1Gb of data in the Bvckup folder, ~ 59000 items. Is there a simple way of re-setting this? I have read https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/777, but other than using the restore method, I can’t see a simple way to clear this, if I want to.

This made no difference, ie, a single job runs OK, on its own, but I cannot run them concurrently (one job fails with the error message “Scan of source location failed ). New jobs are saved to backup-0001.

Regards,

Mark

MWorthington :

Nov 20, 2016

Adding ....

I cloned an existing job, and it also was saved to backup-0001.

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 20, 2016

This is an issue with releases 76.12 and 76.12.1 and it is indeed XP specific.

The root cause is that there's basically an API call that the app uses to get the listing of a directory and to check if a folder is empty. One of the parameters controls certain performance aspects of this query and Bvckup 2 uses it. However, the thing is that this parameter is not supported prior W7 and W2008R2, so on XP the app can't make basic file listings and this leads to all sort of interesting issues, yours included.

The interesting bit is that this somehow worked on our test XP rig and made it past pre-release tests. From what I understand it worked on our XP machine because of 3rd party software that was also running there and that was intercepting and patching up API calls for other processes.

Long story short - please bear with me for a couple of hours and we should have a release out that resolves this issue.

MWorthington :

Nov 20, 2016

Alex, you are a star, reporting back on a Sunday!

Interesting indeed! :) I await with understanding patience.

Cheers,

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 20, 2016

76.13 is out - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/797/4713

MWorthington :

Nov 20, 2016

For a quieter time ....

"As a matter on interest, there was over 1Gb of data in the Bvckup folder, ~ 59000 items. Is there a simple way of re-setting this? I have read https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/777, but other than using the restore method, I can’t see a simple way to clear this, if I want to."

Pity their isn't a "clear cache" type of facility ....

MWorthington :

Nov 20, 2016

Alex,

All back to normal now, v76.13 does the trick.

Great support to resolve an unintentional problem, thanks.

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 21, 2016

As a matter on interest, there was over 1Gb of data in the Bvckup folder, ~ 59000 items. Is there a simple way of re-setting this? I have read https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/777, but other than using the restore method, I can’t see a simple way to clear this, if I want to.

You can nuke all \engine\backup-00xx\deltas\ folders, that's where the majority of these 59000 items are. These are block hashes for files that were copied using delta copying method. If you delete them, they will be recreated on the next update of respective file (however the file will end up getting re-copied in full).

MWorthington :

Nov 21, 2016

OK, so it's a manual delete, outside of Bvckup 2. No way of doing it from the UI? I guess I'm asking if a "Clear delta folders" button could an option?

And to be clear, the "file will end up getting re-copied in full" if it's changed?

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 21, 2016

Yes, it's a manual operation outside of the app. I hear you re: dedicated button, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, because there will be people who'd click it without fully understanding what it does.

Re: second question - yes.

MWorthington :

Nov 21, 2016

Ah, I have that problem with Excel apps. I have "Are you sure?" .... "Are you really sure?" "Are you REALLY REALLY sure" messages :)

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy