The support forum

Beta Release 24

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 15, 2013

Major - backup list reordering

Finally added support for re-ordering main list items. Click-and-hold a backup for about half a sec - it will pop out and can be dragged into a new spot. Alternatively, click-and-drag and it will start moving right away.

Whole thing is handmade from scratch in Win32 API. Hope you like it :)

Miles :

Jul 16, 2013

Thanks Alex!

Two quick things:

1. I wonder if it would be possible to kill all of the buttons on the right (Browse, Details, Change) and just make all the left side titles clickable? I don't know why I keep wanting to configure everything from the titles. Or perhaps even better: lose the right-side buttons and make the descriptions in the middle clickable? That seems like a natural place to click for changes also.

2. If possible, please add a link to the Uninstaller in the Start Menu folder for Bvkcup 2. Having a folder with just one item seems like a needless extra step. Before trying the betas, I like to uninstall the previous version completely, and a shortcut there would be a help.

Gratefully,

Miles

WiseOldElf :

Jul 16, 2013

I have bvckup2 on my laptops backing up to a server and on the server backing up 794 GB to an external drive.  there's no discernible impact on system performance and it all just *works* - perfect.  'simplicity is prerequisite to reliability' :)

enche :

Jul 16, 2013

I kind of like Miles' idea #1! seconding that. :)

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 16, 2013

@Miles -

Re #1 - This is perfectly doable, but the problem with it is that it removes an (obviously) actionable element from the window. You and I will have no problem clicking around and discovering what's clickable, but there are others that aren't as bold or adventurous.

Another option is to make items in the middle column clickable, but I think it too not exactly obvious.

Re #2 - Yep, will do, I remember it, it's on the list.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 16, 2013

@WiseOldElf - *grin*

@enche - Noted... I'm still not convinced to do it though :)

Miles :

Jul 16, 2013

@Alex - What if the color scheme or GUI were altered slightly to make it obvious that the middle description is where to click to change? I virtually always prefer standard Windows GUI elements - not sure why my cursor just doesn't want to cruise all the way to the buttons on the right ;-)

ale :

Jul 18, 2013

@Alex, thanks for the invite I see I have a bit of reading to do :) ...
I tried a couple of backups (picked random folders) just to get a grasp of the application and managed to see something curious...
Source and target were respectively: "C:\Users\Camilla\Documents\" and "C:\Users\Camilla\Desktop\". After running the backup, looking in Windows Explorer, the desktop folder somewhat  had its name and icon changed to those of the documents folder. I don't know if this behaviour is unexpected.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 18, 2013

@ale - that'd be something relating to Windows Explorer. Bvckup is completely oblivious to the existence of Windows Explorer icons in general, it doesn't even know they exist.

Jadag :

Jul 18, 2013

RE-ORDERING!!!

Whoo Hoo!

(I am doing my happy dance now :)

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 18, 2013

@Jadag - Is it done to your liking, sir? Because you are pretty much solely responsible for me adding it, and this quickly :)

ale :

Jul 19, 2013

@Alex - you're right. After some thinkering, I understood. It was the overwriting of the desktop.ini hidden file in the desktop folder with the one from the documents folder.

jrd :

Jul 19, 2013

Minor glitch:

Just got an "error: destination device is missing" when running a backup manually. The device was not missing (mounted network drive).
Re-running the backup manually a minute later worked OK.
This happened while I war running another backup to the same network drive (which worked fine).

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 19, 2013

@jrd - Uhm. Weird. This doesn't give me much to go and fix something, but I will keep an eye on this.

@ale - Yep, makes senses.

enktesisllc :

Jul 22, 2013

This is working so well. Thank you. What happened to the right click options to go to the confi and archive folders?

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 22, 2013

@enktesesllc - Gooood question. It fell a casualty to the drag and drop. Fixed, will be in the next release.

MikeB :

Jul 28, 2013

Just joining the fray at R24....

Although I haven't yet explored every option, my first reaction is that I'm very comfortable with the UI. Feels pretty intuitive. I have some minor observations (sorry if they've already been covered/decided).

#1 On the 'new backup' window (http://tinyurl.com/nd58rxs) I felt that the highlighted details button for timed BU needs just a hint of association with the centre option (maybe put it and the radio button in a lighter grey label). Or remove the explicit Details button and have the details sub-window open for user confirmation/adjustment when the timed BU radio button is clicked.

#2 Simple typo here http://tinyurl.com/o9cu6pu - "resulting"

#3 For me, in the section under How To Delete in http://tinyurl.com/qy3ewm6, I think in the details of the first radio button, the whole sentence 'Backup copies of deleted items are deleted' could be removed since it is tautological.

#4 When setting a source folder, I used the Windows technique of 'hold Shift then right click' to put Copy as Path in the context menu of Windows Explorer (http://tinyurl.com/ou9u4y6). Pasting this straight in left in the delimiting quote marks, which I suspected would cause a problem - but the format of the error message is a trifle unfortunate since it could be construed as telling you to do it the broken way!! Could you check for and remove delimiters of this type from folder input controls, perhaps?

#5 I haven't yet found the way to delete unwanted backups. I would expect to be able to do this via right-click on the name.

Overall - great stuff.....

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 28, 2013

@MikeB - Thanks for the notes, Mike.

#1 and #3 - Noted, let me think about it

#2 - Yep, already reported and fixed.

#4 - Ah, good catch. I fixed the error message and made the validation code strip the quotes if present.

#5 - I accidentally shipped Beta 24 with right-click context menu disabled. Delete option is in that menu among other things, but it is also possible to delete the job by selecting it and hitting Del on a keyboard.

MikeB :

Jul 29, 2013

I ran the beta (with administrator rights, and with the job marked 'Shadow copying required') on a Win 7 machine which I know has a mangled VSS subsystem.

The job hung right enough (http://tinyurl.com/k3hlhpy), and I cancelled after 14 minutes.

I know that doing so involves stepping into a minefield, but the final log summary ending in "with no errors" is not very helpful to users, and I wonder if there's any way you can safely and meaningfully assess lack of progress from the VSS and reflect it to the user? Otherwise they may think the message "with no errors" indicates that BVckUp itself is misdiagnosing the situation.

On this machine, the only symptom that I see (of the broken VSS) is that the machine hangs if anything tries to create a restore point. I suspect that other users may be in this usually asymptomatic position.

The counter argument of course is that if users change BVckUP's Shadow Copying away from the default, they probably know (more or less) what they are doing!

pjb :

Jul 29, 2013

Maybe with the VSS issue, some sort of time out scenario if the VSS has not given an indication of a successful 'lock state' within a certain period of time, just cancel the bvckup operation.  Like a checkbox for VSS timeout of 15 minutes...

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 29, 2013

@MikeB, @pjb - What would you say a reasonable timeout be for a situation like this? 15 min seems like a bit of an overkill. I've never seen a VSS snapshot taking longer than a minute to complete, but that might be just my test boxes.

MikeB :

Jul 30, 2013

I would suggest three, maybe four minutes. (The 15 minutes was me just making sure that nothing was ever going to happen!)

pjb :

Jul 30, 2013

May be then instead of a checkbox, a numeric value with 0 being wait forever for VSS lockout without automatic job cancellation, default of 4 minutes?

@Mike is there anything in the windows event viewer indicating it is VSS stuck?

Reason I am asking is that in an imaging program I used which uses either VSS or it's own proprietary snapshot mechanism, instead of job cancellation, they have a configurable maximum wait time in which to FORCE START a backup with the idea that locked files may not be copied but the non locked files at least are copied...

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 30, 2013

@MikeB - OK

@pjb - That'll mess up the UI, I'd rather just stick it into the .ini file instead.

Robin :

Aug 01, 2013

Excellent stuff as usual.  My only thought thus far would be to include a summary screen where I can see an over view of the details of a running backup.  Other than that seems great thus far.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 03, 2013

@Robin - Can you name few details that you'd like to see on that screen?

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy