The support forum

what about... (email alerts)

WiseOldElf :

Jul 23, 2013

an 'email on failure' option

I know it's not *core* functionality, but as bvckup2 tends to run without any problems, I've stopped checking it as regularly as I might.  so now, if it could let me know if it had some sort of problem, it'd be a completely 'by exception' system for me.

pjb :

Jul 24, 2013

An email feature is useful...

On another sync/backup package I've setup for a client, I basically have it send email on both success and failure, so I can have proof/audit trail that it is working or not (not only the backup but it can also give me a clue if the app/service is not active if I did not receive an email).

If implementing this, make it so people can email to their gmail acct - SMTP with SSL/TLS authentication.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 25, 2013

Good idea.

Not in the first release though, because I can't really use off-the-shelf SMTP agent library, can I now? That would be very unsportsmanlike, wouldn't it? :)

What I will be adding is an option to run a pre-backup and a post-backup commands. For latter, it will also set some environment variables to indicate the outcome of the backup run (Ok/NotOk, error count, etc). Not quite as simple as "send an email alert", but should make do for the first iteration?

WiseOldElf :

Jul 26, 2013

I can understand that the email won't be available in the first release; after all, crafting your own smtp agent will take time :)  I don't think i'd be alone in using the email facility, so perhaps consider adding it to 'the list' ?

whilst the environment variables won't solve my immediate requirement, I can see their use.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 26, 2013

Already added.

genl :

Oct 29, 2013

Also if a service mode generates any events with certain known id's which you can document, we might be able to set up any scenario we want using Windows Task Scheduler. E.g. not only e-mail but a server reboot or running any cmd-line are also possible.
In a very basic case you may miss the details, for example exact filenames, but you'll be able to know if there are any errors.

Or, generally, maybe a better idea is to extend the [External commands] feature, so it allows inserting job-specific parameters like:
- job name
- success/failure
- number of touched files
- number of errors

cmd.exe

time /t

echo %name% finished with %result%. %files% files processed, %errors% errors detected.

Or use your favorite command-line e-mail tool.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 29, 2013

Also if a service mode generates any events with certain known id's which you can document, we might be able to set up any scenario we want using Windows Task Scheduler.

Oh, good idea. Probably, not just in the service mode.

Or, generally, maybe a better idea is to extend the [External commands] feature, so it allows inserting job-specific parameters like...

This is already supported - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/98 - try setting the command to "cmd /k set" and look for BVCKUP_... variables.

genl :

Oct 29, 2013

Great. Didn't know where to look for those variables.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy