The support forum

Beta Release 25

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 07, 2013

Major - revised and improved removable device tracking

Removable device tracking logic has been both simplified and improved.

Previously, the app would check whether the destination (or source) device was removable when the backup was run for the first time, and then it would start tracking the device by its "device ID" if it was removable. That was just a bit too much smarts for comfort, so the simplification part is that tracking is now fully configured from the UI. The UI will help a bit by automatically selecting "track by device ID" for removable devices and "don't track" otherwise, but that's it. The engine won't touch the setting under any circumstances.

Secondly, the improvement is that in addition to tracking by the device ID, devices can now be tracked and matched by their volume label. It's obviously an advanced option that makes it very easy to shoot oneself in the foot, so use at your own risk.

Major - added control over symlink/junction traversal

When a symlink or a junction is encountered during the scanning phase *and* if it points outside of the source location, then there's now two options that control whether such links should be ignored or followed. One option for files and another - for directories. Again, an advanced option, so consider yourselves warned.

Assorted changes and fixes

1. Suppressed detection of devices sitting on certain bus types as removable. Anything that is attached to ATA, SATA, SAS and few others are now assumed to be non-removable. The list of bus types is configurable and can be adjusted via the .ini if needed

2. Fixed crash when system DPI is not at 100, 125 or 150%. It got confused as to what systray icon to use.

3. Fixed right-click on the backup item not working in the main window.

4. Reworked deletion of the backups to run in the background. This is in the context of deleting backups with a LOT of delta state files, which previously has hung the UI until the deletion was completed.

5. Switched crash reporting window to NOT use shell for opening a URL when required. It now looks up the default browser and launches it directly.

6. Fixed some spelling mistakes.

Kudos to everyone who chipped in with the bug reports and suggestions. Thanks, guys!

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 07, 2013

One more thing. I wasn't able to reproduce or understand from the code whey "No backups for 10 minutes" option doesn't appear to be observed when there's an overdue scheduled scan. So I added some diagnostic logging around this point, hopefully it will help clarifying what's going on.

Jadag :

Aug 07, 2013

Hi Alex. How can I fix the following;
I keep getting a "file in use" error as follows;

2013.08.08 05:37:30.800 (UTC-2) 2 2 1. Updating file Outlook.pst
2013.08.08 05:37:30.800 (UTC-2) 3 3 Size: 1.85 GB
2013.08.08 05:37:30.854 (UTC-2) 0 3 Error: the file is in use
2013.08.08 05:37:30.854 (UTC-2) 3 4 Function: CreateFile
2013.08.08 05:37:30.854 (UTC-2) 3 4 Context: D:\- ] Catagorized Configurations\Outlook Configs\Outlook.pst 4 134217856
2013.08.08 05:37:30.856 (UTC-2) 3 3 Not completed

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 07, 2013

Is this with Shadow Copying enabled? Or rather - are you running the app as Administrator?

pgfitzgerald :

Aug 08, 2013

@Alex Pankratov

More feedback for you sir:

1) I'm really digging what you did with the more options section (http://www.bvckup2.com/wip/#25072013). Have you considered doing something similar for all sections? Perhaps shrinking open sections when clicking "Change"? It felt a little strange to me that one section behaved differently than the others.

2) Removable device tracking changes for SATA drives. Works for me. My internal SATA drives no longer show up as removable. However, I have to wonder if that will be problematic for folks using eSATA. I suppose that's what the .ini setting is for eh?

3) I think someone else recently mentioned something about the "Edit details..." link under "When to backup" feeling a little out of place over there all by itself. I would tend to agree. I'm not sure if it's the best approach, but what about moving that over next to "Every 6 hours" or even making "Every 6 hours" the link?

4) Thought about adding a context menu with "Add new backup..." when a user right-clicks a blank area of the window?

5) Running with full administrative rights AND launching when you log into Windows displays a UAC prompt every time you log in. I'm fairly certain I have other programs that don't do that. Fraps is one of them I think. What are you thoughts on that?

6) I'm intrigued by the "More..." and "Rabbit hole..." buttons. I must know more. :-)

7) Any chance of getting to test pre/post backup scripts before release?

8) The integrated help seen when hovering over then clicking on the eject button of removable media is a very nice touch!

pjb :

Aug 08, 2013

@Alex - Updated to 25 today.  With the logging enabled, do you want me to send bvckup log when I boot up tomorrow morning to help debug "No backups after a reboot for 10 minutes"?  

For others who can verify issue: Bvckup set up as service, job runs daily at 8:30a.  Scenario is when I start up computer after scheduled job time, the job runs immediately rather than waiting 10 minutes before running.  I'm on Win 8, 32-bit.   Maybe this is due to Fast Start feature turned on by default in Win 8 whereby things a cached to disk?

pgfitzgerald :

Aug 08, 2013

Followup to my #5 above. I checked, and Fraps gets around it by using a scheduled task as seen in the following screenshots. (http://imgur.com/a/w1n3L) Seems kinda janky, but gets the job done.

OogyPoogy :

Aug 08, 2013

Been away since around release 14 so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but using Release 25, I am unable to browse to my NAS. Why is this? I was running a bvckup just fine back then - later deleted the software entirely - and now when I go to set up the bvckup  job, Bvckup won't detect the mapped network drive to allow me to set a source or destination folder.

Deipotent :

Aug 09, 2013

New backup dialog - Can you allow dragging a folder from Explorer and dropping onto the Backup from/to edit boxes, to set the folder.

Deipotent :

Aug 09, 2013

The What to backup dialog says that Rules are scanned from the top, with first matching rule being final. However, there is no way to change the order of rules (ie. move up/down/to top/to bottom). Would be nice if multiple rules could be selected with Ctrl+Click and Shift+Click.

Deipotent :

Aug 09, 2013

If I select a backup job tile and move mouse down over log, the mousewheel doesn't work to scroll the log. Instead, you have to click the log first before it will scroll the log.

I know there are separate tools to achieve the behaviour I'm after, but can you make it so that on the main window, any mouse-wheel input applies to the control under the mouse cursor.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 09, 2013

@pgfitzgerald -

#1 - I know what you are referring to and I too find the inconsistency a bit annoying. I did try an option of allowing only one expanded section and I didn't really like it, but perhaps I should give it another try.

#2 - In addition to manually tweaking the bus type mask (which I hope no one will ever do), it is still possible to manually override tracking preference for mis-detected removable drives.

#3 - Noted

#4 - I don't know about this. Is it that useful really? How often do you create a new backup to justify this shortcut?

#5 - Hmm, good idea, let me have a closer look.

#6 - They are meant to open a window with a laundry list of all available options, but I'm not yet sure if I really want to add these.

#7 - Yep, it will be in the next beta. I'm thinking that there'll be another 3-4 betas before 1st production release.

#8 - More of this is coming up. In particular, for every section in the More Options section.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 09, 2013

@pjb - Yep, please, the log would help. There should be enough info to deduce the cause of what you are seeing. Do you do a full reboot though? Or is it just waking up from a sleep or a hibernation?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 09, 2013

@OogyPoogy - Are you running it as Admin or as a service? Doing either automatically hides any mapped drives from the application, it's by Microsoft's design. The workaround is to use direct network paths such as \\yadda\foo\bar

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 09, 2013

@Deipotent - Initializing paths with a drop seems perfectly doable, I just need to look at the details. If it's something simple, I'll do it sooner. If not, then later :)

With regards to the rule order - You can reshuffle items on the list with Alt-Up and Alt-Down.

With regards to the mouse wheel - let me see what I can do. This is not as easy as it seems, unfortunately.

Deipotent :

Aug 09, 2013

@Alex Pankratov - Re. rule order, it doesn't work when multiple rules are selected. Also, maybe some hint text - "Alt+Up/Down to re-order rules".

+1 for @pfitzgerald's idea (4) for "Add new backup..." empty area context menu item. Just seems logical to right-click empty area to present options related to new backups (ie. Add new backup)

pgfitzgerald :

Aug 09, 2013

@Alex Pankratov
#1 See the accordion here for an example what is in my mind's eye:
http://getbootstrap.com/javascript/#collapse

Thanks for the info and details for the other items as well!

pjb :

Aug 10, 2013

@Alex - It could very well be due to Windows 8 using Fast Start by default, which uses hibernate when you do regular shut down (Charms Bar... Settings... Power... Shut Down).  When I do this the bvckup2 wait for 10 minutes before backup feature does not wait but executes upon boot up of laptop.

As a test, I forced a Windows 8 shutdown to NOT use Fast Start / hibernate (Charms bar... Settings... Change PC Settings... General... Restart now... Turn off PC).  When I did this, the bvckup job waited properly for 10 minutes.

So I guess non-Windows 8 users can try to simulate by using hibernate...
Will do more testing.  But the default for Windows 8 is to do Fast Start / Hibernate on shutdown - this is why booting is faster.  Don't know what 8.1 will bring...

http://reloadrefresh.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-fast-start-up-works-in-windows-8.html

Jadag :

Aug 10, 2013

Re:  Jadag: Hi Alex. How can I fix the following;
I keep getting a "file in use" error as follows;

2013.08.08 05:37:30.800 (UTC-2) 2 2 1. Updating file Outlook.pst
2013.08.08 05:37:30.800 (UTC-2) 3 3 Size: 1.85 GB
2013.08.08 05:37:30.854 (UTC-2) 0 3 Error: the file is in use
2013.08.08 05:37:30.854 (UTC-2) 3 4 Function: CreateFile
2013.08.08 05:37:30.854 (UTC-2) 3 4 Context: D:\- ] Catagorized Configurations\Outlook Configs\Outlook.pst 4 134217856
2013.08.08 05:37:30.856 (UTC-2) 3 3 Not completed

Alex Pankratov: Is this with Shadow Copying enabled? Or rather - are you running the app as Administrator?

Set as follows;

Run as Administrator
Use Shadow Copying when available.

Regards

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 11, 2013

@Deipotent - Yep, it doesn't work with a group selection. It's a simple hack, I put this in just in case, for people like yourself :) Re: hint - agreed, I need to work it in somehow.

@pgfitzgerald - It is nice, I like it, though it requires all sections to be of the same height to prevent the window itself from resizing. In any case, it'll need to wait until after the release.  I'm a couple of years behind the schedule as is :)

@Jadag - Hmm... Can you show me part of the log following the "Preparing..." message? There should be a section called "Taking snapshot of the source volume" and that's where all shadow copying related messages are. If there are no errors and it says "OK", then it means that it's the *destination* file that is in use - any chance of this being true in your case?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 11, 2013

@Jadag - Is D:\ the backup or the source location?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 11, 2013

@pjb - Ok, so if it is waking up after hibernation, why would you want to delay backups? The original idea behind the delay is that during a boot there's a lot of disk activity, file caches are empty, so trying to run a backup is not the best idea. On the other hand when the computer wakes up, the RAM is in a good shape so there's really no point in delay a backup if its due. Or am I missing something? I don't hibernate my machines much, nor do I reboot that often.

pjb :

Aug 11, 2013

I agree with the Windows disk activity on boot up as I see Win 8 playing catchup on missed scheduled tasks.  The hibernation is default shutdown / fast startup in Windows 8 when Windows 8 people turn their computers off.  People think they're doing a full shutdown .  

My thought was when I turn on my computer, I really need to do a specific thing right away and with all these disk activity it may slow things.  Now granted I should not be having any large copy tasks, but other people may,  hence me trying to test the delay.

So for Windows 8 users in order to 'enable' bvckup delay running on reboot, they should disable Windows 8 fast start up:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 11, 2013

@pjb - Alright, so I read a bit on this and I now know how to programmatically tell if W8 is using FastStart and if a reboot is in fact a fast-start rather than a reboot. I will add an option for treating W8/FastStart as a reboot and turn it on by default, this should be in in the next release or the one after. Thanks for a quality nag, appreciate it :)

Jadag :

Aug 11, 2013

Hi Alex,

I updated to #26 before I saw your comments.

Let me use the new version and see if the same problems occur first, then if they do, I'll refer to your questions above.

Regards - Tony

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 13, 2013

@pjb - An update regarding Fast Startup on W8. I looked around and tried few things and it is *impossible* to tell apart the Fast Startup from a regular hibernation wake-up. Moreover, it's not possible to even tell apart hibernation wake-up from a sleep wake-up. The only option is to drop a driver into the kernel, but I'm not going to do that.

So I ended up doing the following - I have added an option for treating *any* wake-up event as a reboot. It is enabled only if the "HiberbootEnabled" and "HibernateEnabled" keys in registry are both present and set to 1. It can also be manually overridden via the .ini file to be either permanently off or permanently on. I think this should make do.

This will be in BR 28.

pjb :

Aug 13, 2013

@Alex - These article states that the HiberbootEnabled key
is in 2 places.  So I looked in my laptop and both HiberbootEnabled entries are set to 1.

http://www.trickday.com/2012/08/how-to-disable-fast-start-in-windows-8/
http://lyncdup.com/2012/08/windows-8-enable-wake-on-lan-wol-by-disabling-fast-startup-hiberbootenabled/

So maybe you just need to check HiberbootEnabled keys to determine Fast Start up rather than also including HibernateEnabled.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 13, 2013

@pjb - They are looking at the ControlSet001 keys. They should not be doing that, effective ControlSet resides exclusively at CurrentControlSet, so it's just one instance of the HiberbootEnabled that needs checking.

The HibernateEnabled (under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power) - I would've not been checking it if I haven't seen just today that it can be 0 when HiberbootEnabled is 1, together yielding disabled Fast Startup. You can try it yourself - run "powercfg /h off" to disable any hibernation and then check HiberbootEnabled value. It will still be 1, but the Fast Startup will be off. Then run "powercfg /h on" to turn hibernation back on.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy